Executive search | vice president of strategic sales| catapult learning
Executive Blog Search
Thoughts Shares Industry Insights
Vice President of Strategic Sales
REPORTS TO: CEO, JEFFREY COHEN
LOCATION: FLEXIBLE, PREFERRED EAST COAST
CATAPULT LEARNING IN THE NEWS
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Vice President of Strategic Sales is responsible for playing a key leadership role in the sales and business development functions of the company. This newly created position will plan and direct all aspects of the sales organization including sales strategy, new customer acquisitions and existing key account management and growth.
This position will lead an intimate team of ten national consultants that are directly responsible for driving top-line revenue growth. The VP of Sales will be accountable for the overall sales organization performance, aligning sales and objectives with Catapult’s business strategy. This position will play an integral strategic and tactical role in serving as a catalyst and leader within the organization.
Founded in 1976 and based in Camden NJ, originally known as Sylvan Education Solutions, Catapult Learning is the nation’s leading provider of educational services to public, charter, religious, and private school students.
Catapult Learning has a long and proven record of providing academic support services for struggling learners. The company offers research-based programs that include intervention, alternative school education, special education, assessment, school improvement, and professional development solutions through K-12 contracted instructional services in the United States. Catapult impacts over 300,000 students and 25,000 teachers with a staff of 3500 employees.
Catapult’s primary mission is to address the needs of at risk students through an extensive portfolio of services and turnkey programs to meet the student in need in the environment that maximizes his or her likelihood of success. The programs serve a diverse cross-section of at risk students, from children with autism to teens in danger of dropping out of school.
With extensive experience developing curriculum, collecting school data, offering summer programs, offering math and reading interventions, developing specialized learning programs, creating common core support training, and numerous other programs. Catapult serves as a partner along with all the other stakeholders in the student’s education ecosystem.
Catapult achieves success in a variety of settings and produces lasting transformation
through two primary business units:
The Schools Group
Catapult creates significant success stories for school districts by establishing designated facilities. These facilities, for special education, emotionally disturbed and transitional students, help to reduce the number of dropouts, improve overall educational achievement, and provide return on investment for local taxpayers. Catapult Learning is located in 14 states, operating and staffing over 50 schools.
Education Solutions Business Group
Catapult’s intervention solutions build teacher capacity and delivers unparalleled student success at many levels. Through the identification of schools with low income and underperforming students, partnerships with districts allow Catapult to place needed teachers directly on-site.
Key executives for Catapult Learning
Jeffrey Cohen, CEO
Stephen Freeman, President, Education Solutions
Andrea Vargas, President, Schools Group
Kristen Campbell, Chief Strategy Officer
Michal Kisilevitz, Senior VP Corporate Operations
Valerie Mogavero, Chief HR Officer
Based preferably in the Northeast or with easy access to Camden, NJ, and reporting directly to the CEO, the VP of Sales will proactively and systematically pursue new targeted business opportunities for Catapult identified through extensive research on state and district regulations.
Essential duties and responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Responsible for maintaining and developing key partnerships and relationships at the district, city, county and state levels
- Develop overall market based sales and business development strategy in close partnership with the CEO
- Identify attractive markets based on their regulatory and funding framework
- Improve sales force productivity in both customer renewals and new business sales to existing and new customers
- Evaluate, upgrading where necessary, and “lead by example” the sales team to achieve agreed upon goals
- Lead negotiations on a variety of large dollar, complex and long term transactions/ partnerships/agreements
- A great sense of urgency; high energy; mission driven
- Report progress and metrics on a regular basis to the executive team and company
THE CAREER OPPORTUNITY
For a proven leader in sales and business development this position offers the following career opportunities—
- The opportunity to join a small executive team and have “a seat at the table” as the industry leader continues to chart its future
- The opportunity to work at the highest levels within school districts in a highly strategic role extending market reach
- The chance to lead both strategy and execution in a senior role
- The opportunity to earn an attractive salary and bonus without the burden (for some) of managing a national sales organization
- The opportunity to share ownership in the company through an equity position
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate currently works or has worked in a business development or sales role within K-12 solution and service based models; a proven leader with initiative, strong communication skills and is an effective and collaborative team member. A proven track record in motivating, measuring, driving and expanding sales through innovative vision and strategic analysis will be key.
Specifically, this individual will have the following experience and capabilities:
- Create market based sales and marketing plans and oversee execution of approved plan
- Develop strategic assessment of business markets and potential partnerships
- Proven success creating opportunities in consultative sales in solution services
- Understanding of K-12 buying cycles with the ability to professionalize sales processes and develop appropriate metrics
- True business development or sales professional—with a track record of Leading negotiations on a variety of high ticket transactions, partnerships, and agreements occurring over a long buying cycle
- Have an “always on” entrepreneurial mindset with a bias for action and innovative angles
- Possess an intimate understanding of the state and federal legislation that generates and regulates the nonpublic funding
- Support and develop of relationships with private and public school educational leaders across the country
- Experience driving, motivating, hiring, and upgrading a small team
Compensation will include salary, performance bonus, and equity commensurate with the individual’s experience.
Travel required up to 50% in a year.
INTERVIEW PROCESS | BACKGROUND CHECK
Catapult Learning, LLC has an Employment Application, Work History and Background Check (provided to candidates). The background check includes compensation verification, professional references, employment and education verifications, state and federal criminal history reports, and drug screen.
Resume and cover letter should be sent as Word documents to Jennifer Florence (email@example.com) and also posted on the BSG website (www.bsgtv.com). No phone calls please.
Ralph Protsik Todd Hand
Co-Founder and Managing Director Managing Director